9/11/2013

Runway Review: Narciso Rodriguez Spring 2014

After a week filled with so many crisp white pieces, leave it to Narciso Rodriguez to put his own unique stamp on this gigantic trend for spring 2014. Deciding to go a sharper route after two seasons of more fluid clothes, Narciso made a nice and marketable collection.

Tailoring was always key for Narciso Rodriguez and he didn't disappoint with each and every piece shown. He started us off with minimalistic jackets and tuxedo dresses in black and white. What I found particularly fresh and cool were the leather insets (I hope that trend NEVER goes away).


The ever growing crop top trend made its way on to Narciso's runway. Although not particularly original, the execution was more than imaginable on starlets such as Lily Collins or Selena Gomez.


My favorite pieces from the collection were the stunning folded and draped skirts. The mini-slits on one side provided a very sexy peek-a-boo effect without being vulgar.


Another trend that is going to continue (when it comes to Narciso, at least) are the asymmetrical hem dresses. Strict, color-blocked and strapless in the front with a light flowing train in the back. My only problem was that they seemed too derivative after Raf Simons did them at Dior more than a few times.


The last few looks were felt far less restrained and much more in tune to what everyone else is doing. Embellished silk slip dresses with (again) mini trains flowing in the back and a white sheer overlay were chic, but forgettable.

I have to admit I agree with Cathy Horyn. American designers are seriously lacking creativity this season. With Proenza Schouler (today) and Marc Jacobs (tomorrow) yet to come, I'm keeping my fingers crossed I get swept away by a fashion breakthrough. The only one that did that for me this week was Prabal Gurung.


Red Carpet Wishlist



No comments:

Post a Comment