9/10/2013

Runway Review: Rodarte Spring 2014

The last Rodarte show, inspired by Los Angeles punks, was a home run for sisters Kate and Laura Mulleavy. After a few seasons of out-of-this-world inspirations it felt utterly fresh and completely appropriate considering the Met Gala theme.  The same can't be said for what we've seen today.

If I had to pinpoint the inspiration, I'd say that it's 80s rock trash and although I do love the 80s, the execution just didn't work (gosh, I feel so Project Runway).


If you've read a few of my reviews, you probably caught one of my pleas for everything tasselled. After I saw a few asymmetrical skirts and crop tops adorned with them, I wasn't pleased at all.


When it comes to prints, they were inspired by animals of the jungle (think leopards, tigers and zebras). They would have worked if they weren't done in these satin-y fabrics which (aditionally) cheapened the look.


A detail that I (surprisingly) did like were the large, embroidered scorpios. Those were the only two looks that successfully married the trashy with the couture. Another plus side - the jewellery was fabulous.

This collection might fare well in certain edgy editorials, but I can't really imagine it on real people, nor on the red carpet. Better luck next time, girls.


Photos from Style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment