9/03/2013

Street Style Sensations

People, it's official, New York Fashion Week is only two days away and I bet that the likes of Miroslava Duma and Anna Dello Russo are packing their lace up boots and visors (not sure why I just wrote that) as we speak. It's a well known fact that during the four weeks an equal amount of eyes is on the runways, as well as the streets of the fashion capitals. Street style and its biggest stars have been known to make careers (Ostwald Helgason), promote mega-trends (tiger print sweatshirts by Kenzo) and turn into (fashion) household names (Elena Perminova).

Obsessed as I am with blogs like Jak & Jil and The Sartorialist, it's understandable that I often wonder which pieces will be street style hits when I browse the latest collections or new arrivals on sites like Net-A-Porter and Matches. Now that you know this crucial guilty pleasure of mine, I'm happy to share my predictions (if you could even call them that) with all of you.

Brace yourselves, for a lot of cool is coming your way!

Coats


Masculine & Minimalistic


With the climate changes we are experiencing, you can no longer count on September to be an extension of summer, so I think these super cool pieces from Stella McCartney (up) and Chalayan (down) could be coazy and comfortable for regular front row attendees, such as Carine Rotifeld.


Opera Ladies


If the weather gods make friends with the fashion gods, we just might see a lot of whimsical opera coats. What I love about them is that everyone can take a different approach to styling them. I can definitely see Anna Wintour wearing this Valentino number (left) over one of her shift dresses, whereas Miroslava Duma is prone to pair this Giambattista Valli piece (left) with a simple striped tee and blue jeans.



Sweatshirts


Graphic School


I'm not exactly sure why, but there's just something about sweatshirts (whether knitted or cotton) that has taken over street style (duh, Kenzo!). Having worn quite a few myself, I can say that they're amazingly practical, especially for this transitional weather (although that might not be the main reason the fashion flock seems to, well, flock to them so often, but let it be said). Graphic pieces such as these from Mary Katrantzou (up) and J.W. Anderson (down) are sure to attract the attention of every street style photographer roaming the streets. 



Embellishment, Please


They say that the mark of a stunning fashion item is that you just want to reach out and touch it. Surely, that was the case with fashion editors and buyers when pieces like these (Lanvin on the left and Christopher Kane on the right) were being shown. Playful, yet extremely fashion forward, these sweatshirts guarantee that all eyes and (possibly) hands will be on you.



Skirts


Clueless


As if!?! I know some of you may be citing Cher Horowitz while looking at this picture, but I am here to tell you that the fashion shown in Clueless is more than cool again, it's a must. Hopefully, these minis by McQ (left) and Moschino (right) are proof (and reason) enough for you.



It's a Wrap


As you can probably tell by now, I see a lot of girls in mini-skirts prancing around New York, London, Milan and Paris (no one's complaining, right?). Probably the hottest cut of a skirt right now is the wrap skirt and I can definitely see why. It's sexy, fun and looks a tad sassy, I might add (although I despise that word). Hey, if Carven (up) and Isabel Marant (down) are making them, fashionistas simply have no choice but to play along.



Bags


I think huge bags are over. There, I said it. The new alternative for women who are able to decide what necessities they need with them all the time, I present these precious little things. They will hang off their shoulders as they're Instagramming the pics from Jason Wu's show or pretend to be clutches for a more polished effect. Clockwise from top: Reed Krakoff3.1 Phillip Lim, Proenza Schouler and Alexander Wang.



Shoes


I have no idea why, but oddly, these shoes seem to work. Feel free to blame the 90s trend that erupted not that long ago. Come to think of it, these booties have everything that your average showgoer needs: sensible heel, adaptability to (almost) any outfit, cool factor. Check, check, check. Before your eyes stands another proof that anything that Hedi Slimane designs instantly becomes covetable. Clockwise from top: Saint Laurent, Jimmy Choo, Miu Miu and Charlotte Olympia.

No comments:

Post a Comment